- How will the market for DER management technologies develop?
- What are the main market drivers and barriers to DER management technologies?
- How can IT&OT DER management systems be defined?
- What is the outlook for the DER management market?
- Who are the key players in the DERMS vendor landscape?
- What are the key facets of VPPs and local flexibility platforms?
- What are some of the key recommendations for governments, policymakers, and market stakeholders?
Analyst Insight: DER Management Platforms
Energy IT Forecast Insights
The market for DER management technologies, while still relatively nascent, is poised for significant growth over the next decade and beyond. Guidehouse Insights classifies these solutions into three major categories: IT/OT systems, renewables monitoring & control (M&C), and DER analytics.
IT/OT systems include advanced distribution management systems (ADMS), grid- and edge-based distributed energy resource management systems (DERMS), virtual power plant (VPP) management systems, and local flexibility market platforms. M&C refers to plant- and fleet-level M&C software tools for utility-scale solar PV plants, wind farms, and energy storage systems. DER analytics encompass a broad range of DER, DR, and energy management analytics applications. These technologies are further detailed and disaggregated in the Guidehouse Insights report “Market Data: DER Management Technologies.”
This Analyst Insight examines how the pool of industry stakeholders continues to grow and widen, as utilities, energy retailers, aggregators, developers, EV companies, smart appliance manufacturers, and others continue to capitalize on this emerging, high-growth market. Globally, DER management spending is expected to grow from $6.6 billion in 2021 to nearly $24.8 billion in 2030, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.9%.
- Utilities and renewable energy providers
- Energy retailers
- EV companies
- Smart appliance manufacturers
- Renewable energy providers
- Policy makers
- Investor community
Defining IT and OT DER Management Systems
Market Drivers and Barriers
DER Management Overview
DERMS Vendor Landscape
VPP and Local Flexibility Market Platforms Overview
Acronyms & Abbreviations
Additional Resources & Contact
- DER Management Spending by Category, World Markets: 2021-2030
- DER Management Spending by Technology, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Grid DERMS Spending by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Edge DERMS Spending by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Guidehouse Insights DERMS Leaderboard: 2Q 2022
- Hybrid DERMS and VPP Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- DERMS Leaderboard Rankings