- What are the key smart meter projects around the world?
- Which utilities are actively engaged in smart meter deployments on a worldwide basis?
- Which technologies have various utilities selected for their deployment projects?
- What types of smart meter-related vendors are working with specific utilities?
- What are the vendor selection shares of these smart meter and communications providers?
Smart Meters Are Quickly Becoming the Norm
Global AMI Tracker Insights
The smart electric meter continues to evolve across technologies and geographies. In developed markets, penetration rates continue to climb while a burgeoning market for second-generation deployments begins to emerge. There has been an evolution in deployment drivers, moving from traditional billing and workforce considerations to innovative use cases around edge computing, grid optimization, and customer experience.
Meanwhile, developing markets are advancing beyond the nascent stage with an uptick in project announcements across Eastern Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East. In these markets, motivations still largely lie in operational savings and theft detection. The adoption of electric smart meters by utilities is part of a long-term technology transformation to create a more intelligent grid. The rate of adoption will continue to vary by region, state, and utility, but smart meters are well on their way to becoming the norm.
The Global AMI Tracker from Guidehouse Insights aims to provide a comprehensive resource for announced AMI (smart meter) projects and associated vendors. This Data Insights report and the accompanying Global AMI Tracker 2Q20 Excel databook contain information regarding smart electric meter deployments announced through 1Q 2020, including estimates for installed smart meters. Information is based on published announcements from vendors, utilities, news agencies, and public filings, among other sources.
- Utilities and grid operators
- Meter manufacturers
- Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) communications vendors
- Meter data management (MDM) vendors
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Research community
- Investor community
- Executive Summary
- Market Inflection Trends
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Market Forecast
- Regional Market Overview
- Key Recommendations
- Acronyms and Resources
- AMI Deployment: Industry Growth Potential, World Markets: 2020-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers, World Markets: 2Q20
- Meter Vendors by Smart Meter Selection Share: 1Q20
- Communications Vendors by Smart Meter Selection Share: 1Q20
- Communications Technologies by Planned Meters, World Markets: 1Q20
- Project Count by Region, World Markets: 1Q20