- What are key considerations for battery safety?
- What developments are being made by different stakeholders to improve battery safety?
- What should key industry players do to put more focus on battery safety?
- What are differences between popular battery chemistries and their safety profiles?
- How do issues of battery safety affect public perception of battery storage technology?
Key Developments in Battery Energy Storage Safety
Adoption rates for EVs and stationary energy storage systems (ESSs) are growing at an increased rate. Policy objectives and manufacturing capabilities are accelerating these rates of deployment and centering conversations on the critical piece of these technologies: advanced batteries. As adoption of advanced battery technologies accelerates, industry leaders need to adapt to overcome safety barriers and ensure that these technologies can succeed at scale.
Consumers, integrators, and policymakers alike are turning their attention to battery performance, with a special consideration to safety and risk. A holistic understanding of the battery value chain is important to mitigating risk and forecasting future safety issues. Regulatory bodies and independent groups are moving forward in their efforts to collect extensive data on battery safety. This data includes fire incidents and focuses attention on battery design, performance, and disposal.
This Guidehouse Insights report discusses key trends in battery safety, including recent technological developments, battery chemistry profiles, and current initiatives to improve battery safety across the industry. This report explores battery safety considerations including chemistry, reliability, transport and disposal, and recycling and reuse. These factors help to define safety measures for the current battery market for stationary and transportation applications. The report includes recommendations for manufacturers, integrators, regulatory bodies, and policymakers.
- EV manufacturers
- Battery storage manufacturers
- Energy storage developers
- Battery storage integrators
- Energy storage regulators and policymakers
- Investor community
EV and Energy Storage Adoption Are Growing at an Increased Rate
Developments in Battery Technology Make Safety a Priority
Defining a Safe Battery
Safety Incidents Draw Public Attention
Battery Recycling and Reuse Provides Benefits
Regulatory Bodies Turn Their Attention to Safety
Guidehouse Insights Recommends a Multilayered Approach to Battery Safety
Manufacturers: Designing Batteries for Recycling or Reuse Reduces Waste
Integrators: Not All Chemistries Are Created Equal
Policymakers and Regulators: Safety Standards Must Keep Pace with Technology Advancements
- Historic and Forecast Light Duty EV Sales by Scenario, World Markets: 2015-2030
- Tesla Vehicle Accident, Texas 2021
- Battery Value Chain, First and Second Life
- Battery Chemistries and Their Properties