- Who are the top 15 companies developing automated driving systems (ADSs)?
- Which of these companies ranks highest in terms of Strategy?
- Which of these companies ranks highest in terms of Execution?
- Which companies are currently leading this emerging market?
- Which companies are best positioned to take the lead in deploying automated driving directly or with automaker partners?
- What are the factors that separate the Leaders from Contenders and Challengers?
Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard: Automated Driving Systems
Assessment of Strategy and Execution for 15 Companies Developing Automated Driving Systems
For the automated driving system (ADS) industry, 2020 proved to be just as challenging as it was for most business segments thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lockdowns caused disruptions to on-road testing that in many cases lasted several months. However, 2020 also helped to highlight business opportunities, particularly around the delivery market for automated vehicles (AVs).
The trend toward consolidation continued with both small startups and large well-funded companies giving up on going it alone. Uber decided to cease its internal development of ADS, selling its Advanced Technology Group to Aurora, and Zoox sold itself to Amazon. Volkswagen completed its investment in Argo AI and transferred its ADS team to Argo, and Aptiv and Hyundai Motor Group created their Motional joint venture. Volvo and Fiat Chrysler both teamed up with Waymo to use the ADS developed by the Alphabet subsidiary. At the opposite end of the market, Voyage was acquired by Cruise and its unique model of providing mobility services to retirement communities is being shelved.
This Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard report differs from prior rankings for AVs. Rather than focusing on the companies that will be deploying AVs to the end consumer market, this report evaluates the companies actually developing the ADSs. All of the companies included are developing systems for light to medium duty vehicles, and that is the primary focus of the evaluation. A total of 15 companies have been ranked, and the report assesses which companies are best equipped to be the leaders in the development of ADSs.
Top 10 Vendors
- Argo AI
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Automotive industry suppliers
- Insurance companies
- Commercial fleet managers
- Taxi operators
- Mobility service providers
- City managers
- Government agencies
- Carsharing companies
- Ride-hailing companies
- Transit providers
- Investor community
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Barriers
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard
3.1 The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.3 Argo AI
4.3.2 May Mobility
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study and Methodology
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
22.214.171.124 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
- The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard Grid
- Waymo Strategy and Execution Scores
- Nvidia Strategy and Execution Scores
- Argo AI Strategy and Execution Scores
- Baidu Strategy and Execution Scores
- Cruise Strategy and Execution Scores
- Motional Strategy and Execution Scores
- Mobileye Strategy and Execution Scores
- Aurora Strategy and Execution Scores
- Zoox Strategy and Execution Scores
- Nuro Strategy and Execution Scores
- Yandex Strategy and Execution Scores
- AutoX Strategy and Execution Scores
- Gatik Strategy and Execution Scores
- May Mobility Strategy and Execution Scores
- Tesla Strategy and Execution Scores
- SAE J3016 Standard Core Reference for Automated Vehicles
- The Guidehouse Insights Leaderboard Overall Scores