- What are the emerging trends in smart city platforms?
- What are the key policy and design innovations?
- How are different sectors developing city platforms solutions?
- How is the global smart city platform market expected to grow during the next 10 years?
- What are the core layers and components of the smart city platform model?
- Which cities are leading in the deployment of smart city platforms?
Ecosystem Strategy for Smart Cities: Making Platform Strategies Work
The evolution of city platforms is tied to some of the fundamental questions associated with smart cities. What technical and commercial platforms will enable a digital, low carbon, and sustainable economy to thrive? What forms of collaboration across sectors are necessary? What common infrastructure is required?
Cities are a prime testing ground for platform offerings from a diverse ecosystem of providers, and cities themselves are driving forward with platform strategies at multiple levels. The need for rapid and flexible deployment of new solutions in response to the pandemic has provided additional impetus to those initiatives. However, the alignment between supplier offerings and city requirements is not always straightforward. Cities are often uncertain of their needs and hampered by siloed procurement practices. Suppliers have also been evolving their offerings, with some retreating from an integrated platform offering for cities while others are developing new offerings and exploring technical and business model innovations.
This report examines the opportunities and challenges of the smart city platform market. Recommendations are provided for technology providers, service partners, and other stakeholders.
- State and regional government
- City service providers
- Smart city solutions providers
- IoT and city platform vendors
- IT, networking, and telecommunications vendors
- Transportation and mobility providers
- Energy management hardware and software vendors
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Smart City Platforms: A Definition
The City as a Service
City Platform Strategies and Initiatives
Focus Areas for City Platform Innovation
Market Spotlight: Smart City Platforms
Platform Evolution Across Sectors
Supplier Ecosystem Perspective
Market Accelerators and Inhibitors
Additional Resources, Acronyms, and Contact
- Supporting Heterogeneous Systems and Diverse Ecosystems
- A Platform Approach Delivers Great Flexibility in Service Delivery
- City Platform Strategies and Initiatives
- Annual Smart City Platform Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Supplier Platform Strategies Are Diverse and Often Uncertain
- Market Accelerators and Inhibitors