- How are service providers evolving to meet the changing needs of utility customers?
- How do service providers partner with customers to meet their challenging economic, social, and business goals?
- How do stakeholders continue to evolve to protect and grow market share and remain competitive?
- What has been the impact of the coronavirus on the electric grid and its transformation into the Neural Grid?
- How does this impact intersect with other challenges, including climate change, political and social unrest, and the evolving electric customer?
- How are OEMs, utilities, software companies, and technology providers adapting their services and technology investments to facilitate grid transformation?
- What lessons can be learned from the sudden changes to electricity demand and customer behavior that have started to lay out their recovery strategy?
- What are the opportunities and challenges for different sectors of the Neural Grid market?
Ecosystem Strategy for Neural Grid: Achieving Growth through Uncertainty
The coronavirus pandemic has launched a new era of uncertainty and dynamic change across all industries. A sustained public health threat like nothing our society has experienced before has radically altered the utility operating model and shifted global energy usage. This shift means new and stronger forces are weighing on the electric grid—one that is, by many accounts, barely ready to meet the challenges that already exist.
As utilities and grid solutions providers work together to recover, a continued emphasis must be placed on the evolution of the electric grid. The global utility industry might have caught a glimpse of the future as changes in customer energy use and load profiles alongside critical infrastructure reliability concerns have been thrust into effect. This report outlines a framework to capitalize on these opportunities and shines a positive light on how the application of innovative technologies can bring benefits across the Neural Grid ecosystem.
This Guidehouse Insights report examines how the electric grid must evolve into a Neural Grid to meet new and existing challenges in an age of uncertainty. The report highlights a hierarchy of legacy investment needs, major pandemic impacts, and requirements for recovery. Additionally, the report studies the electric grid and energy landscape changes accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic and examines their medium- and long-term consequences. Additionally, this report examines the effects on utilities, solutions providers, and innovation programs and creates a revised vision for the future of the global power network. Recommendations are provided for energy strategists, technology providers, service partners, utilities, and other stakeholders.
- Transmission and distribution network operators
- T&D grid equipment manufacturers
- Distributed energy providers
- AMI vendors
- Software and solutions providers
- Networking and communications providers
- Distributed energy resources network owners and operators
- Smart energy solutions providers
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Government agencies
- Investor community
An Evolving Reality for Utilities
From Smart Grid to a Neural Grid Ecosystem
Accelerators and Inhibitors to an Emerging Ecosystem
Propelling Transformations Through Uncertainty
Accelerating the Transformation to the Neural Grid
Pressures to Shift Strategy and Remain Competitive
Neural Grid Ecosystem Assets and Opportunities
Collaboration and Competition Breeds Growth
Key Recommendations & Conclusion
Acronyms, Resources, & Contact
- Strategic Actions and Ecosystem Benefits
- Ecosystem Interactions
- Accelerators and Inhibitors to an Emerging Ecosystem
- Neural Grid Ecosystem Assets and Opportunities