- How can platforms create valuable ecosystems for the grid and end consumers?
- How do platform strategies tackle industry challenges, including decarbonization and increasing energy costs?
- How are DER OEMs, utilities, and energy suppliers adapting their services and technology investments to build credible technology platforms?
- Which technology solutions can help manage the new needs of the energy system and building future resilience while supporting the growth of sustainable technologies?
- What are the opportunities and challenges for different sectors of the DER market?
Ecosystem Strategy for Connected DER: Making Platform Strategies Work
Because DER is distributed and wide-ranging by nature, each technology has developed in its own silo. The complex interactions between different energy assets in the electricity system make the grid a perfect sandbox for platforms that can integrate with other assets there to create new solutions.
The need for rapid and flexible deployment of new solutions in response to the pandemic, along with further DER cost reductions and the electrification of transport, has provided additional impetus to those integration initiatives. However, the alignment between supplier offerings and customer and grid requirements is not always straightforward, so suppliers have been evolving their offerings, developing new offerings, and exploring technical and business model innovations.
This report examines the grid’s opportunities and challenges as a DER asset platform market. It provides recommendations for technology providers, service partners, and other stakeholders.
- Solar developers, installers, and operators
- Genset and microturbine vendors
- Fuel cell vendors
- Microgrid vendors
- EV charging vendors and service providers
- Smart energy solutions providers
- IoT and platform vendors
- IT, networking, and telecommunications vendors
- Transportation and mobility providers
- Energy management hardware and software vendors
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
DER Orchestration Platforms: A Definition
DER Platforms for Value Creation
Additional Resources, Acronyms, and Contact
- Vectors of Uncertainty
- A Shifting Energy Landscape
- The new business models should start with the customer
- DERMS Investment Model
- Distribution System Platform (DSP) Model
- Marketplace Model
- Transactive Energy Model
- Market Accelerators and Inhibitors
- Uncertainties and Opportunities by Sector
- Ecosystem Perspective