- What is the size of the global warehouse building stock in each region and how quickly will it grow through 2030?
- Which regions are expected to witness the most growth in warehouse building stock?
- What are the key indicators and trends that dictate the size and composition of the global building stock?
- What market drivers and barriers are affecting to global building stock growth?
Analyst Insight: Warehouse and Distribution for E-Commerce
Global Building Stock Database Insights
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to changes in consumer spending and habits. E-commerce made up 13.6% of US retail spending in the first quarter of 2021, up from 10.2% in the same period in 2019. Consumers are increasingly expecting same or next day deliveries, which has greatly affected warehouse demand. Meanwhile, warehouses are moving toward automation to combat an acute labor shortage, which has also been exacerbated by the pandemic. This increase in automation has given rise to the emergence of micro-fulfilment centers that form an integral part of last-mile assembly and ensure the timely distribution of goods.
Increases in protectionism and drastic changes in the global supply chain and shipping have also influenced locational warehouse demand. Warehouses located close to consumers are increasingly preferred as it helps to reduce delivery times and costs. Additionally, the upcoming need to monitor and reduce emissions as businesses are moving toward a net-zero future has resulted in a new type of warehouse that is automated and energy efficient.
Guidehouse Insights’ Global Building Stock Database provides estimates of building stock across more than 230 countries and building types based on a rigorous modeling approach that uses available building stock data to fill gaps in publicly available information. The most recently updated database was published in 2Q 2021. This accompanying report focuses on changes in the warehouse building sector.
- Lighting and HVAC equipment vendors
- Green building design and construction firms
- Management consultancies
- International real estate companies
- Energy sector trade associations and advocacy groups
- Government agencies, regulators, and policymakers
- Investor community
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Regional Market Overview
- Warehouse Distribution and E-Commerce Industry Growth Potential, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Annual Warehouse Building Stock by Region, World Markets: 2018-2030
- Net New Warehouse Building Stock by Region, World Markets: 2019-2030
- Global Building Stock by Segment in Millions of Square Meters, World Markets: 2021
- Estimated Quarterly Sales of Consumer Goods, US: 2017-2020
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, China: 2018-2023
- Transportation and Warehousing Employment by Monthly Change, US: July 2020-July 2021
- Market Drivers and Barriers