- What does blockchain offer V2G solutions?
- What does the blockchain-enabled EV charging market look like?
- What vendors and companies are using blockchain for V2G?
- What are examples of V2G blockchain case studies?
- Overall, how is blockchain performing in the energy market?
- What markets have already been implementing blockchain-enabled V2G; which are primed to do so next?
- What are the main drivers and barriers for the blockchain V2G market?
Analyst Insight: Vehicle-to-Grid Powered by Blockchain
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
Since 2012, Guidehouse Insights has tracked 504 total energy blockchain projects and 304 unique vendors. Of those 504 projects, 10% have employed blockchain technology for EV charging (EVC), which is the sixth most common use case. Transactive energy remains the top use case, with Certificates of Origin projects close behind. In the past two-to-three years, the number of vehicle-to-grid (V2G) projects among the EVC projects has increased.
A V2G project—often part of a virtual power plant or a cutting-edge flexibility solution—supports EV batteries acting as energy storage systems that can feed energy back into the grid. Blockchain can offer multiple benefits to V2G projects. The market remains nascent, but a few vendors and projects stand out and could lead the way to broader adoption. Leveraging findings from the Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Tracker, this report focuses on blockchain-enabled V2G projects and their market prospects. It also covers a broader view of the EVC blockchain market.
The Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Tracker provides an overview of blockchain vendors and project developments in the energy industry, including vendors, project partners and funding, project size, use cases, company status, and other project-specific data points.
- Blockchain vendors
- EV charging vendors
- Utilities and energy providers agencies looking for flexibility and DR solutions
- Corporations looking to invest in EV charging stations
- Government agencies and regulators
- Energy developers
Blockchain as a Backbone for Smart, Secure Databases & Transactions
Smart Charging and V2G Charging
V2G Market Drivers and Barriers
Blockchain-Enabled V2G Market Inflection Trends
Regional Market Overview
Acronyms and Resources
- Cumulative Energy Blockchain Projects Announced by Region, World Markets: 2016-2022
- Cumulative EV Charging Projects Announced by Region, World Markets: 2016-2022
- Blockchain-Enabled V2G Market Drivers and Barriers
- Blockchain-Enabled V2G, Industry Growth Potential by Region, World Markets: 2022-2031