- How is the storage plus market expected to develop moving forward?
- What must utilities and regulators do to take full advantage of optimized utility-scale storage and renewables?
- What are the drivers and barriers of energy storage?
- What regional markets will see the fastest growth in energy storage deployments?
- How can utilities, regulators, and policymakers work to improve market conditions for energy storage?
Analyst Insight: Utility-Scale Solar Plus Storage Market
Energy Storage Tracker
The global energy storage industry has continued to mature rapidly in the past 2 years. Although select countries have seen major increases in new projects, others are just beginning to develop substantial market opportunities. The industry remains diverse in the shape and structure of markets around the world, yet we are beginning to see repeating trends in the early adopter markets that have grown and become more mature. A key global trend is that the early stages of a market’s development typically include projects that are smaller and focused on single applications, often grid stability services such as frequency regulation. As markets mature, such as in the US, Germany, and Australia, new projects tend to shift to target more substantial multi-revenue-stream opportunities for capacity and reserve services, including combined renewables plus storage plants.
Several key factors continue to increase the global need for energy storage deployments. The restructuring of electricity markets is enabling valuation of the flexible benefits of energy storage deployments. Variable generation sources such as solar PV and wind that are connected to power grids will require increased load balancing against demand. Areas with unstable grids and frequent outages will benefit from distributed energy storage systems (DESSs) and microgrids with storage. Load profiles will play a critical role in the structure and operation of the power grid, which will influence the development of energy storage markets.
This Analyst Insight report from Guidehouse Insights provides an overview of the market including market inflection trends, market drivers and barriers, global energy storage market forecasts, regional market analysis of long duration capacity, and key recommendations for stakeholders in the energy storage industry.
- Energy storage technology vendors
- Smart grid controls and software companies
- Energy engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Inverter companies
- Solar financing companies
- Investor community
- Executive Summary
- Market Inflection Trends
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Market Forecast
- Regional Market Overview
- Key Recommendations
- Acronyms and Resources
- ESS Deployment: Industry Growth Potential, World Markets: 2020-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Installed ESS Capacity Top 5 Countries: 2Q20
- Energy Storage Projects by Region: 2Q20
- Long Duration Capacity Deployment by Status, Regional Projects: 2010-2025