- What are the main megatrends in the smart meter industry?
- How can private 4G LTE networks enhance smart meter communications?
- ow can utilities improve security and data privacy measures to build customer trust?
- How have average selling prices for smart meters changed over the last decade?
- What are the prominent benefits associated with FTM and BTM applications?
Analyst Insight: Transformative Smart Meter Megatrends
Advanced Metering Infrastructure Tracker Insights
The evolution of smart metering has reached a tipping point in recent years, as technological leaps are, for the first time, enabling utilities to maximize the value of their AMI deployments. Whereas many first-generation smart meter deployments were plagued by underwhelming benefit streams, the combination of megatrends such as hardware improvements, communications enhancements, edge computing applications, and cost reductions, among others, have ushered in a new era of AMI.
Globally, most installed smart meters still classify as first-generation devices. However, a new wave of product enhancements is aiming to revolutionize the market by delivering real-time insights to utilities and their customers, while enabling new use cases through waveform data capture. These market evolutions coalesce with ongoing cost reductions at the hardware, communications, and software levels, opening new opportunities in developed and developing markets, alike.
This Guidehouse Insights Advanced Metering Infrastructure Analyst Insight focuses on several megatrends that are helping shape the smart meter market. It includes discussion of market drivers and barriers, hardware evolution, grid-edge intelligence, security and data privacy, and pricing shifts. Underlying the report is data from the Guidehouse Insights’ Global AMI Tracker, published in 4Q 2022.
- Communications providers
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Large industrial power users
- Government agencies
- Military agencies
- Non-governmental organizations
- Investor community
Market Drivers and Barriers
Smart Meter Evolution
Trends: Security & Data Privacy and Pricing
Smart Meter Analytics and Edge Intelligence
Acronyms and Abbreviations
Additional Resources, Contact
- Smart Meter Average Selling Price, United States: 2007-2022
- Smart Meter Analytics and Edge Intelligence
- Market Drivers and Barriers