- What are the key smart meter projects around the world?
- Which technologies have various utilities selected for their deployment projects?
- What technologies have seen increased adoption as a function of new smart meter deployments?
- How have smart meter technologies evolved over the past decade?
- What are the selection shares of smart meter communications technologies?
- Which utilities are actively engaged in second-generation smart meter deployments?
Analyst Insight: Top Country and US State Regional Smart Meter Markets
Global AMI Tracker Insights
The smart electric meter market is highly fragmented across geographic regions. North America and Western Europe sit atop the market given higher levels of development and early-stage regulatory drivers that helped spawn millions of smart meters in the mid-2000s. Both regions continue to show strong investment in smart metering as a function of both late adopters and a burgeoning second-generation market. There has been an evolution in deployment drivers, moving from traditional billing and workforce considerations to innovative use cases around grid optimization and distributed energy resources (DER) integration.
The second tier of smart meter markets includes Eastern Europe, Middle East, and pockets of Asia Pacific. These regions are engaged in large-scale project deployments with strong growth continuing over the next decade. Emerging markets such as Latin America, Africa, and the remaining pockets of Asia Pacific are still largely focused on pilot-scale projects aimed at basic optimization. That said, this generalization doesn’t hold everywhere, as several high volume deployments are ongoing across these regions. COVID-19 has had a notable impact on the advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) market, but Guidehouse Insights expects a quick recovery as meter installations resume and second-generation deployments become more common.
This Guidehouse Insights report provides an analysis of global utility smart meter projects. It tracks data related to global customer endpoints, meter manufacturers, AMI communications vendors, systems integrators, and meter data management (MDM) vendors. The report also examines the technologies, timeframes, and vendor selections for AMI deployments around the world, along with vendor selection share analysis for North America.
- Utilities and grid operators
- Meter manufacturers
- Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) communications vendors
- Meter data management (MDM) vendors
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Research community
- Investor community
Latin America and Africa
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Smart Meter Installed Base by Region, World Markets: 2020 and 2028
- Smart Meter Penetration by State, US: 2019
- Smart Meter Penetration by State, US: 2013
- AMI Deployment Industry Growth Potential, Europe
- First-Generation AMI Opportunities by State, US: 1Q 2021
- Second-Generation AMI Opportunities by State, US: 1Q 2021
- Installed and Planned Smart Meters by Country, Middle East: 1Q 2021
- Key Emerging Markets by Country, Latin America and Africa: 1Q 2021