- Who are the leading energy blockchain vendors?
- What countries and regions are key markets for energy blockchain?
- Which utilities are involved in energy blockchain pilots?
- What are the leading use cases for energy blockchain applications?
Analyst Insight: Top 5 Energy Blockchain Vendors
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
The energy blockchain and distributed ledger market continues to mature following the initial wave of investment in 2016 and 2017. Since new project announcements peaked in 2018, the energy blockchain market has become increasingly concentrated at the top, with the top 10 blockchain vendors accounting for almost one-third of all projects deployed since 2012. New projects continue to focus on established use cases such as transactive energy (TE) and guarantee of origin.
The top five energy blockchain vendors presented in this Guidehouse Insights report were selected based on the consistency and quantity of their new project announcements over the past 5 years. TE and guarantees of origin continue to be the primary use cases for blockchain technology, but new project announcements indicate that other use cases such as Internet of Things (IoT), flexibility services, and wholesale energy trading are gaining traction.
This Guidehouse Insights report tracks global energy blockchain project deployments, use cases, and vendor activities around the world. It covers 278 vendors and 361 projects across five global regions. This report provides a broad and representative view of the energy blockchain market.
- Utility companies
- Energy technology companies
- Smart meter vendors
- Microgrid developers
- Microgrid component suppliers
- Energy storage purveyors
- Power electronics companies
- Microgrid and smart grid software vendors
- C&I customers
- VPP aggregators
- DERMS providers
- Distribution systems operators
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Investor community
Market Inflection Trends
Spotlight: Power Ledger
Spotlight: LO3 Energy
Spotlight: Energy Web Foundation
- Energy Blockchain Industry Growth Potential by Region
- Cumulative Project Announcements by Vendor Concentration, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Annual Project Announcements by Vendor Concentration, World Markets: 2012-2020