- What are the total number of NWA projects worldwide?
- What are the impacts of EV adoption on NWA projects?
- What are the key indicators and trends that dictate the number of NWA projects implemented?
- What market drivers and barriers are affecting NWA project growth?
Analyst Insight: The Impact of EVs on Non-Wires Alternatives
Non-Wires Alternatives Tracker Insights
Non-wires alternatives (NWA) make use of distributed energy resources (DER) to provide grid relief necessary to avoid or defer traditional grid infrastructure investments. The largest NWA market is in the US, due in part to the growing number of regulatory requirements at the state level related to NWAs. A larger push is underway worldwide, resulting from cooperation among all key stakeholders including regulators, legislators, utilities, and customers.
Encouraging NWAs can lead to a cleaner and less congested grid that is flexible enough to respond to changes in supply and demand. NWAs can be particularly useful in remote, rugged, isolated, or densely populated areas where traditional grid infrastructure can be limited. To further encourage NWA development, a supportive regulatory environment must be designed, and strong customer engagement strategies must be employed to take full advantage of demand side resources.
The Guidehouse Insights Non-Wires Alternatives Tracker provides a comprehensive and up-to-date database of global NWA projects. Information provided for projects tracked includes project name, location, utility, capacity, cost, included technologies, status, and more details when available. The most recently updated tracker was published in 1Q 2023. This accompanying Analyst Insight focuses on the impact of EVs on NWAs.
- State utilities
- EV manufacturers
- Management consultancies
- Energy sector trade associations and advocacy groups
- Government agencies, regulators, and policymakers
- Investor community
Scope and Project Status Definitions
Market Inflection Trends
Non-Wires Alternatives Projects Overview
Market Drivers and Barriers; EV Adoption in the US
UK Power Networks: An NWA Case Study
Regional Market Overview
Key Recommendations and Conclusions
Acronyms, Resources, and Contact
- Non-Wires Alternatives Tracker Projects, Worldwide: 2022
- Number of NWA Projects by Status, Worldwide: 2022
- Number of NWA Projects by Technology Location, Worldwide, 2022
- LD PEV Sales by Powertrain and PEV Market Share, North America: 2022-2031 Number of EVs by Vehicle Type in the US: 2022
- Number of Non-Wires Alternatives Projects by Region: 2022
- Market Drivers and Barriers