- What smart streetlight trends are emerging across global regions?
- How have regional smart streetlighting markets grown over time?
- What regional trends are driving smart streetlighting deployments?
- What are the leading project types (e.g., transportation, government) being implemented globally?
- How have cities extended smart streetlights to be platforms for other technologies?
- What are the main funding vehicles for smart streetlight projects?
Analyst Insight: Smart Streetlighting
Smart City Tracker Insights
As the immediate economic shocks of the COVID-19 pandemic begin to wane, a complete picture of both the damage and the economic response is coming into view. Many nations are preparing to make a considerable amount of stimulus available, and much of it has a focus on transportation, connectivity, and environmental quality. This situation presents an opportunity for vendors of smart city technologies as well as cities looking to build on smart city principles. This increase in funding comes at a time when developments in technology, funding models, and regulatory measures have made smart city technologies more accessible. Smart streetlights are a good example of a technology that has benefited from recent economic and regulatory developments. These lights have seen an increasing rate of deployment thanks in part to better return on investment as well as greenhouse gas emissions reduction measures. At the same time, the poles of smart streetlights are valuable sites for sensors that meet other smart city goals. Cities around the globe are using smart streetlights as a platform to deploy public security, connectivity, and transportation systems.
This Guidehouse Insights report focuses on historical and anticipated trends in the smart streetlight market. Drawing on data from Guidehouse Insights’ Smart Cities Tracker, this report considers 798 tracked smart city projects from 2012 to 2021. Regional trends in smart streetlight deployments are considered as well as the current funding and policy landscapes of smart city developments generally. Discussion on this data includes regional market drivers, barriers, and emerging opportunities.
- Outdoor lighting manufacturers and vendors
- Smart grid hardware and software vendors
- Transportation IoT manufacturers and vendors
- Urban sensor vendors
- Networking and telecommunications vendors
- Pole product manufacturers
- Regulatory community
- Investor community
Tracked Global Smart City Projects
Smart Streetlight Cases: North America
Smart Streetlight Cases: Europe
Smart Streetlight Cases: Asia Pacific
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Key Recommendations, Resources, & Contact
- Cumulative Smart City Projects by Region, World Markets: 2012-2021
- Installed Based of Smart Streetlighting by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Smart City Development, Industry Growth Potential, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Cumulative Tracked Smart Streetlight Projects by Region, World Markets: 2012-2021
- Market Drivers and Barriers