- What are the market drivers for and barriers to smart city projects?
- What regions contain the largest share of smart city projects?
- What 10 countries have the most transportation related smart city projects?
- How can visual AI, digital twins, and EV charging enhance city transportation safety, infrastructure planning, and carbon footprint?
- What percentage of tracked smart city projects relate to transportation?
Analyst Insight: Smart City Transportation Megatrends
Smart City Tracker Insights
Transportation and mobility have long been at the forefront of smart city development. Implementing smart services and technologies in transportation allows cities to increase operational efficiencies and decrease their overall carbon footprints. Technological advances in AI, digital twins, and EV charging are helping cities decrease traffic, plan future infrastructure projects, and decrease carbon emissions. While cities’ needs differ, multiple avenues exist for these technologies to help them prepare for climate change’s challenges.
As the COVID-19 pandemic gradually subsides, people have returned to driving cars and traveling by plane, bus, and train—accompanied by renewed congestion and rising carbon emissions. In addition, the pandemic highlighted alternative methods for constructing transportation systems that caused cities to reexamine their existing systems and quickly adapt them to ensure that people can use them safely and sustainably. These systems’ success will depend on finding creative ways to apply solutions that accommodate this resurgence in travel.
This Guidehouse Insights report focuses on three megatrends that can affect transportation (visual AI, digital twins, and EV charging capabilities) and looks at solutions that can create sustainable and resilient cities. The topics, based on the Smart City Tracker 1Q23, include market drivers and barriers, assessment of tracked smart city projects, case studies for each megatrend, highlights from the last two years’ Smart City Trackers, and recommendations for stakeholders in the smart city industry.
- Energy management hardware and software vendors
- Smart grid hardware and software vendors
- Building equipment and appliance vendors
- Urban sensor vendors
- Smart transportation providers
- Networking and telecommunications vendors
- Investor community
Market Drivers and Barriers
Tracked Global Smart City Projects
Smart City Transportation Trends: Visual AI
Smart City Transportation Trends: Digital Twins
Smart City Transportation Trends: EV Charging
A Review of the Last Four Quarters
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Cumulative Smart City Projects by Region, World Markets: 2013-2022
- Top 10 Countries by Tracked Smart Cities Transportation Projects, World Markets: 1Q23
- Number of Projects Added to the Smart Cities Tracker between 3Q21 and 1Q23
- Market Drivers and Barriers