- How are cities in Asia Pacific responding to post-pandemic societal shifts through smart city infrastructure?
- Which countries in Asia Pacific are investing the most in smart city infrastructure?
- How can mass transit be incentivized for people who do not commonly use it?
- How can AI optimize road transportation at intersections?
- How can AI, IoT, and big data help governments improve the resilience of their cities?
Analyst Insight: Smart Cities in Asia Pacific
Smart City Tracker Insights
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, new priorities for smart city development have arisen. In Asia Pacific, key focuses are utilizing technologies to optimize public transportation and improve societies’ interaction with public data and infrastructure. High speed rail, AI, the Internet of Things (IoT), big data, and blockchain are all fundamental tools that cities in Asia Pacific are taking advantage of to help achieve their post-pandemic goals. These applications will also help make cities more resilient to similar public health crises in the future.
The pandemic gave governments insight into the importance of resilience in social systems. Civilians relied more heavily on their digital devices to carry out activities that were previously performed in person. In response, governments have invested in digital platforms and IDs that enable people to view and share data practical for everyday life. As the pandemic has subsided, people have returned to travel by car, bus, train, and plane—accompanied by renewed congestion and rising carbon emissions. Cities have responded by introducing greener and more efficient mass transit networks, while focusing on optimizing intersections with AI to enhance road conditions for passenger vehicles.
This report, based on Guidehouse Insights’ Smart Cities Tracker 3Q23, focuses on three trends in Asian Pacific cities’ efforts to mitigate post COVID-19 pandemic societal vulnerabilities: mass transit, intersection technology, and health and interaction. The report includes market drivers and barriers, an assessment of tracked smart city projects, a trend landscape, case studies with a dive into the tools being used to develop each trend, and recommendations for stakeholders in the smart city industry.
- Smart city technology providers
- Public transportation operators and developers
- AI developers
Tracked Smart City Projects
Market Drivers and Barriers in Asia Pacific
Smart City Transportation: Mass Transit
Smart City Transportation: Intersection Technology
Smart City Government: Health and Interaction
Acronyms & Abbreviations
Additional Resources & Contact
- Cumulative Smart City Projects by Region, World Markets: 2014-2023
- Top 10 Asian Pacific Countries by Tracked Smart City Projects, World Markets: 3Q 2023
- Trend Landscape
- Market Drivers and Barriers in Asia Pacific