- Who are the leading energy blockchain vendors?
- What countries and regions are key markets for energy blockchain?
- Which utilities are involved in energy blockchain pilots and projects?
- What blockchain platforms are being used for demonstrations?
- What are the leading use cases for energy blockchain applications?
Analyst Insight: Megatrends Impacting Energy Blockchain
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
The Guidehouse Insights Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Tracker provides an overview of blockchain vendors and project developments in the energy industry, including vendors, project partners and funding, project size, use cases, company status, and other project-specific data points.
As of 1Q 2023, Guidehouse Insights tracks 585 total energy blockchain projects. In 2022, a total of 81 projects were added to the tracker, led by the US and Germany. Transactive energy and certificates of origin remain the most popular use cases in project count, though support for grid balancing, asset ownership, and microgrid operations have also grown significantly. While project motivations naturally vary, common trends include support for multinational corporations in meeting ambitious climate goals and facilitating greater grid flexibility and control in response to the proliferation of renewable energy resources.
For most product categories, competitive and technological landscapes remain nascent; however, a few vendors and flagship projects are helping lead the way to broader adoption across the board. Leveraging insights and findings from the 1Q 2023 iteration of the Tracker, this Analyst Insight provides an overview of the energy blockchain market from a regional, vendor, and use case perspective, focusing on forward-looking trends that inform market opportunities and potential.
- Utility companies, distribution system operators
- Energy technology and software companies
- Microgrid and smart grid software vendors and developers
- Investor community
- Energy storage purveyors
- C&I customers
- VPP aggregators
- DERMS providers
- Smart meter vendors
- Microgrid developers
- Microgrid component
- Power electronics companies
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
Use Case and Vendor Overview
Market Drivers and Barriers
Increasing Proliferation of DER
EV Adoption and V2G in Grid Management
Increasing Cryptocurrency Regulation
Acronyms and Abbreviations
Additional Resources & Contact
- Total Projects Announced by Region, World Markets: 1Q 2023
- Top Five Countries by Total Projects Announced, World Markets: 1Q 2023
- Top 10 Use Cases by Projects Announced, World Markets: 1Q 2023
- Top Five Vendors by Projects Announced – Regional Distribution, World Markets: 1Q 2023
- Distributed vs Centralized Generation Capacity, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Cumulative EV Charging Capacity, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Top 10 Energy Cryptocurrencies by Market Cap
- Market Drivers and Barriers