- What are the key smart meter projects around the world?
- Which technologies have various utilities selected for their deployment projects?
- What technologies have seen increased adoption as a function of new smart meter deployments?
- How have smart meter technologies evolved over the past decade?
- What are the selection shares of smart meter communications technologies?
- Which utilities are actively engaged in second-generation smart meter deployments?
Analyst Insight: Key Technology Trends Shaping the Smart Meter Market
Global AMI Tracker Insights
The proliferation of smart meters in the early 2000s was largely a function of rudimentary motivations. At the regulatory level, US and European markets were galvanized through the US Smart Grid Investment Grant and EU Directives. At the operational level, most utilities saw these deployments as easy cost-limitation exercises and limited project objectives to relatively simple applications. These drivers, although still relevant, have been surpassed by more advanced use cases and technologies that define the smart meter market moving forward. Analysis in this Guidehouse Insights report identifies key technology trends that help to shape this evolving and complex market.
Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) can be broken down across hardware, software, and communications. Hardware innovation can be seen as multi-channel. More frequent data collection supports software and analytics investments, onboard communication modules now support hybrid communications, and enhanced security features support the entire value chain.
This Guidehouse Insights report provides a comprehensive resource for announced AMI (smart meter) projects and associated vendors. This report offers information regarding smart electric meter deployments announced through 4Q 2020, including estimates for installed smart meters. Information is based on published announcements from vendors, utilities, news agencies, and public filings, among other sources.
- Utilities and grid operators
- Meter manufacturers
- Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) communications vendors
- Meter data management (MDM) vendors
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Research community
- Investor community
Technology & Vendor Overview
Communications Trends Analysis
Acronyms and Resources
- Communications Trendline Analysis, North America: 2Q 2016-3Q 2020
- Smart Meter Grid Analytics Applications
- Smart Meter Customer Analytics Applications
- New Project Announcements Analysis: 2018-2020
- Second-Generation Deployments