- What is the current natural gas situation in Europe?
- How has the war in Ukraine impacted the gas flows to Europe?
- What is the market outlook for distributed natural gas in Europe?
- What are current and historical natural gas prices in Europe?
- What are the different distributed natural gas technologies?
Analyst Insight: Europe's Natural Gas Crisis
Natural Gas Distributed Generation Insights
The Russian invasion of Ukraine has shaken Europe, not only because it was the first time that war had broken out on European soil since the end of World War II, but also because its energy system, which keeps much of the European populace warm in the winter, was built on shaky foundations. Years of steady natural gas consumption, and increased reliance on Russia to provide it cheaply, lulled European countries into a false sense of security. Russia’s energy exports satisfy around a quarter of all European energy use, and its willingness to use it as political pressure threatens European solidarity with Ukraine during the coming winter.
A reduction in European consumption of Russian gas is almost a moot point. Sky-high prices mean that while receiving less gas, Europeans are paying over 200% more than they were at the beginning of 2021. Looking particularly at natural gas distributed generation (NGDG), the threat to the natural gas economy in Europe does not bode well.
The Guidehouse Insights report presents global forecasts for three NGDG technologies: natural gas (NG) gensets, stationary fuel cells (SFCs), and microturbines. Markets are segmented by region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa) and application (residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial applications).
- Natural Gas and Diesel Genset manufacturers
- Microturbine manufacturers
- Renewable energy project developers
- Green hydrogen project developers
- Transmission system operators
- Distribution system operators
- Energy suppliers
Overview: NGDG Technologies
Market Drivers and Barriers
Market Inflection Trends
Regional Market Overview
Europe's Natural Gas Crisis
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Total Annual NGDG Capacity Additions by Technology, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Total Cumulative Annual NGDG Capacity Additions by Region, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Total Cumulative Annual DNGG Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Europe’s Energy Sources, %, 2020
- Europe’s Energy Mix, %, 2020
- European Natural Gas Imports, %, 2020
- Weekly Dutch TTF natural gas prices, Euros (€) 2021-August 2022
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- NGDG Growth Potential, World Markets: 2022-2031