- What are the trends in electrolyzer design?
- What new electrolyzer technologies are on the horizon?
- What effect does the Inflation Reduction Act have on the electrolyzer production industry?
- What are the current market barriers to producing electrolyzers at scale?
- What role do critical minerals play in the electrolyzer industry?
Analyst Insight: Electrolyzer Type Deployment
Hydrogen Electrolyzer Tracker Insights
The electrolyzer industry is undergoing a period of rapid manufacturing scale up and technological innovation. Alkaline electrolysis (AEL) and polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) electrolyzers account for most of confirmed orders, with solid oxide electrolyzers (SOEC) currently running a distant third. Comparatively immature technologies such as anion exchange membrane (AEM) and capillary fed electrolysis (CFE) are also being brought to market, promising reduced material costs and improved conversion efficiencies.
Recent volatility in critical mineral prices has underscored the importance of material costs to the competitiveness of hydrogen production technologies. Likewise, high electrolyzer efficiencies are seen as critical to achieving cost reduction targets for green hydrogen. Durability and operational flexibility are also key performance parameters for hydrogen producers. Going forward, manufacturers must balance their product offerings among end-users’ requirements, the advantages of proven technologies, and the need to reduce project CAPEX.
This fourth Guidehouse Insights Hydrogen Electrolyzer Tracker Analyst Insight summarizes the key findings of the tracker, outlines important market trends, provides an explanation of new trends in the electrolyzer market, and identifies drivers and barriers to market growth.
- Electrolyzer producers
- Hydrogen producers
- Industry players
- Mineral industry specialists
- Policy makers
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Regional Market Overview
Deep Dives on Electrolyzer Materials and Technologies
Acronyms & Abbreviations, Additional Resources, Contact
- Electrolyzer Revenue by Technology, World Markets, 2022-2031
- Electrolyzer Price by Technology, World Markets, 2022-2031
- Cumulative Identified Projects by Region, World Markets: 3Q 2022
- Electrolyzer Deployment Potential, World Markets, 4Q22
- Market Drivers and Barriers