- What are the key drivers for the distributed generation market in Asia Pacific?
- What are the key barriers to distributed generation market growth in Asia Pacific?
- What is the market growth potential by region?
- How does distributed generation fit into the Asia Pacific market?
Analyst Insight: Distributed Generation in Asia Pacific
Global DER Deployment Insights
Despite the supply chain challenges and disruption caused by the ongoing pandemic, global deployment of distributed generation (DG) is expected to grow to 128 GW in 2021. This growth is supported by a strong year for distributed solar, which is expected to see 63 GW of added capacity this year. The short-term outlook for DG growth remains positive despite solar PV module price increases and rising freight costs globally.
The Asia Pacific region is expected to be the largest regional market for DG over the next 10 years, with varying market maturity across the region. In Asia Pacific, Australia offers the best regulatory environment for the distributed energy resources (DER) self-consumption business model while Japan has strong policies supporting DER deployments but lacks the integration needed to support this business model. China has introduced DER-friendly policies in recent years and is expected to be the largest market for DG globally.
This Guidehouse Insights report focuses on seven key DG technologies, including solar PV, distributed wind, microturbines, stationary fuel cells, diesel generator sets (gensets), natural gas gensets, and other renewables. Despite their distinct characteristics, all of these technologies usually operate behind the meter at customer facilities. In some cases, the technologies are owned and operated by actors outside of traditional utilities, such as the technology owner or third-party service providers and aggregators.
- Solar developers, installers, and operators
- Genset and microturbine vendors
- Fuel cell vendors
- Microgrid vendors
- EV charging vendors and service providers
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Scope of the DER Database
The DER Value Chain
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Asia Pacific DG Deployment Market Forecast
Acronyms and Resources
- The DER Value Chain
- DG Deployment, Industry Growth Potential, Asia Pacific: 2021-2030
- Annual DG Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Cumulative DG Capacity by Technology, Asia Pacific: 2021-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers