- What are the key drivers for DER technologies around the world?
- How are DER technologies evolving in reliability and integration into the grid?
- What are the major DER developments in each global region?
- How are DER deployments expected to displace traditional, centralized generation around the world?
Analyst Insight: Distributed Energy Resources
Global DER Deployment Insights
The deployment of distributed energy resources (DER) increased throughout 2022 and is forecast to continue growing steadily to the end of the current forecast period (2023-2032). Declining technology costs, new business models, and regulatory support in the form of subsidies will drive adoption of DER around the globe.
The DER Database covers 14 DER technologies grouped into four distinct parts of the value chain that generate, manage, and consume electricity. Despite their distinct characteristics, all of these technologies usually operate behind the meter at customer facilities. In some cases, the technologies are owned and operated by actors outside traditional utilities, such as the technology owner or third-party service providers and aggregators.
This Analyst Insight provides DER capacity and revenue forecasts for world markets and considers some of the updated forecasts in the 1Q23 iteration of the DER Database, including EV charging capacity, which is anticipated to benefit from government support in the US. Also covered in this Insight are the shift from centralized generation to distributed forms of energy and the increasing requirements of battery storage as a result of the proliferation of renewables, and key recommendations for consumers, utilities, and governments.
- Solar developers, installers, and operators
- Wind developers, installers, and operators
- Genset and microturbine vendors
- Fuel cell vendors
- Microgrid vendors
- EV charging vendors and service providers
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Market Inflection Trends, Market Drivers and Barriers
DER versus Centralized Generation Capacity Additions
Incentives Driving EV Charging Capacity
Proliferation of Intermittent Renewables
Acronyms, Resources and Contact
- Annual DER Capacity Additions by Region, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Annual DER Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2023-2032
- DER vs Centralized Generation – Annual Capacity Additions, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Cumulative EV Charging Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Distributed Solar, Wind, and Storage Capacity Additions, World Markets: 2023-2032
- Cumulative DER Revenue ($ Millions) for Selected Technologies, World Markets: 2023-2032
- DER Growth Potential, World Markets
- Market Drivers and Barriers