- What are the key drivers for different DER technologies around the world?
- How are DER technologies evolving in terms of reliability and integration into the grid?
- What are the major DER developments in each global region to date?
- How are DER deployments expected to displace traditional, centralized generation around the world?
- How are DER revenues changing based on application?
- How are the COVID-19 pandemic and supply chain issues affecting DER deployments?
Analyst Insight: DER Year in Review
Global DER Deployment Insights
The deployment of distributed energy resources (DER) increased throughout 2021 and is forecast to continue growing steadily over the coming decade. Declining technology costs, new business models, and legislative action emphasizing decarbonatization and resilience are likely to drive adoption of DER over the forecast period. 2021 was a breakthrough year for countries removing barriers for DER to provide services to the grid. As more countries open the market to DER, the value proposition of DER is expected to increase.
Distributed solar PV continues to lead annual DER capacity installations, with EV charging expected to provide the second most capacity additions in the near term. The most significant update from the previous version of this report is an increase in expected EV charging adoption. Thanks to higher-than-expected market resiliency and a surge in government and corporate actions to decarbonize road transportation, Guidehouse Insights has revised its EV forecasting models toward more aggressive adoption rates. As a result, Guidehouse Insights has more than doubled its forecast for annual spending on EV charging infrastructure.
This Guidehouse Insights report covers 14 DER technologies grouped across four distinct parts of the value chain that generate, manage, and consume electricity. Despite their distinct characteristics, all of these technologies usually operate behind the meter (BTM) at customer facilities. In some cases, the technologies are owned and operated by actors outside traditional utilities, such as the technology owner or third-party service providers and aggregators.
- Solar developers, installers, and operators
- Genset and microturbine vendors
- Fuel cell vendors
- Microgrid vendors
- EV charging vendors and service providers
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Scope of the DER Database
Updates from the Past 6 Months
DER Year in Review
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Market Forecast and Regional Overview
Acronyms, Resources, and Contact
- DER Deployment: Industry Growth Potential, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Annual Total DER Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Annual Total DER Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2022-2031
- Global DER Annual Capacity Deployment by Application, Regional Market Shares, World Markets: 2022 and 2031
- Market Drivers and Barriers