- What are the key drivers for community solar growth in North America?
- What is the market growth potential by region in North America?
- How will distributed solar capacity grow over the next decade?
- How are community solar programs evolving to meet the needs of consumers?
Analyst Insight: Community Solar in North America
Global DER Deployment Insights
COVID-19 has caused problems with sourcing and slowed distributed generation (DG) deployments in 2020 and into 2021. Despite COVID’s lasting effect on the value chain, the distributed energy resources (DER) market is expected to continue to grow in 2021. According to Guidehouse Insights estimates, the North American distributed solar PV market is expected to grow, and North America is expected to install more than 15% of the world’s distributed solar over the next decade.
The adoption of net-metering legislation across the US has allowed community solar to grow considerably in the past few years and this trend will likely continue in the near term. States that were early adopters of enabling legislation continue to lead the way in community solar capacity. Currently, states and utilities are working to increase opportunities for low and moderate income customers to participate in community solar programs by establishing a carve-out for projects serving low income customers and by providing additional credit for low income projects.
This Guidehouse Insights report focuses on community solar in North America, providing an overview of 14 DER technologies grouped across four distinct parts of the value chain that generate, manage, and consume electricity. Despite their distinct characteristics, these technologies usually operate behind the meter (BTM) at customer facilities. In some cases, the technologies are owned and operated by actors outside traditional utilities, such as the technology owner or third-party service providers and aggregators.
- Solar developers, installers, and operators
- Genset and microturbine vendors
- Fuel cell vendors
- Microgrid vendors
- EV charging vendors and service providers
- Energy suppliers, utilities, and grid operators
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Scope of the DER Database
Updates from the Past 6 Months
Global DER Deployment Market Forecast
Key Highlights - North American Distributed Solar Market
Market Inflection Trends and Market Drivers and Barriers
Community Solar across the US - NREL Data
Acronyms, Resources, and Contact
- Annual Total DER Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Annual Distributed Solar Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Community Solar Industry Growth Potential, North America: 2021-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers