- Who are the leading energy blockchain vendors?
- What countries and regions are key markets for energy blockchain?
- Which utilities are involved in energy blockchain pilots?
- What are the leading use cases for energy blockchain applications?
Analyst Insight: Blockchain Use Cases in the Smart City
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
Guidehouse Insights defines a smart city as a city characterized by the integration of technology into a strategic approach to improving citizen well-being, environmental sustainability, and economic prosperity. Smart cities take advantage of innovations in digitization and automation to deliver services to their citizens quickly, efficiently, and securely, and blockchain technology is one such innovation.
Blockchain reduces the cost of sharing and authenticating data and allows documents and other information to be tied to an individual’s digital identity. Blockchain’s architecture is tamper evident, allowing the authenticity of this information to be verified mathematically. In a smart city, these attributes can produce benefits for everything from document provenance (e.g., public land ownership or private health records) to cybersecurity, transportation, and transactive energy.
Smart city programs and projects are expanding worldwide, creating sandbox environments that can evaluate and incubate emerging technologies such as blockchain. Although previous reports have focused on energy blockchain applications, this Analyst Insight report focuses on applications that support governance in smart cities. It highlights three case studies that demonstrate blockchain’s potential benefits as a tool available to city managers adapting to the digital transformation.
- Utility companies
- Energy technology companies
- Smart meter vendors
- Microgrid developers
- Microgrid component suppliers
- Energy storage purveyors
- Power electronics companies
- Microgrid and smart grid software vendors
- C&I customers
- VPP aggregators
- DERMS providers
- Distribution system operators
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Investor community
A Blockchain Backbone for Smart Governance
Tech-Savvy Smart Cities Lay Groundwork for Blockchain
Olea’s Smart Water Technology Stack Cuts Costs for City of Atlanta
Ant Financial Puts Chinese COVID-19 Insurance on a Blockchain
UAE Bets on Blockchain to Digitize the Middle East
- Cumulative Energy Blockchain Project Announcements by Region, World Markets: 2015-2020
- Cumulative Smart City Projects Tracked by Region, World Markets: 2010-2019