- What is blockchain for demand response?
- What countries and regions are key markets for energy blockchain?
- Which utilities are involved in energy blockchain pilots?
- What are the leading use cases for energy blockchain applications?
Analyst Insight: Blockchain-Enabled Demand Response
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
Transactive energy (TE) remains the top use case in the energy blockchain space, but blockchain-enabled demand response (DR) projects present an opportunity for growth. Guidehouse Insights measures DR as the total capacity of load reduction that is aggregated to help offset peak demand. DR programs can facilitate the balance between energy supply and energy demand to reduce peak energy demand.
In North America, DR programs have been in place for several decades but began to expand globally only after 2010. It was not until 2015 that Guidehouse Insights identified the first energy blockchain project with a specific DR use case. Blockchain-enabled DR programs have the potential to expand globally by addressing common challenges confronting DR programs, such as a lack of security and trust.
This Guidehouse Insights report tracks global energy blockchain project deployments, use cases, and vendor activities around the world. It covers 278 vendors and 361 projects across five global regions. This report provides a broad and representative view of the energy blockchain market.
- Utility companies
- Energy technology companies
- Smart meter vendors
- Microgrid developers
- Microgrid component suppliers
- Energy storage purveyors
- Power electronics companies
- Microgrid and smart grid software vendors
- C&I customers
- VPP aggregators
- DERMS providers
- Distribution system operators
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Investor community
Blockchain for Demand Response
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
- Blockchain-Enabled DR Industry Growth Potential by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Annual DR Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2021-2030
- Cumulative Energy Blockchain Project Announcements by Region, World Markets: 2015-2021