- What are the key smart meter projects across emerging markets?
- What are the primary motivations for deploying smart meters in emerging markets?
- How can smart meter and analytics vendors target these emerging markets?
- Which markets will show the greatest growth in smart metering over the next decade?
- Which technologies have various utilities selected for their deployment projects?
Analyst Insight: AMI across Emerging Markets
Guidehouse Insights defines as emerging smart meter markets to include Eastern Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa. Deployments vary in terms of size, scope, and technologies, across these disparate regions and countries. For the purposes of this analysis, North America and Western Europe are excluded due to their high smart meter penetration rates.
Africa saw the largest increase in new planned meters for 2021, mostly because of Kenya. China has a massive base of installed smart meters that were deployed in the 2010s. There are now burgeoning opportunities across second-generation projects. Eastern Europe is expected to see an uptick in smart meter adoption over the next decade, as markets like Poland, Lithuania, Serbia, and Russia increasingly deploy smart meters.
Countries in the Asia Pacific region are in various stages of development. Australia, Japan, and South Korea are well equipped with smart meters and have been exploring more advanced analytics, while Bangladesh, Thailand, and India still present massive opportunity. Latin America has struggled to galvanize its smart meter economy. Brazil and Mexico are leading the way, with Argentina, Chile, and Peru trying to catch up. The Middle East is maintaining a steady pace of development, with remaining growth potential across countries like Iran, Iraq, and Israel.
This Guidehouse Insights analyst insight analyzes utility smart meter projects across emerging markets. It tracks data related to new project announcements, global customer endpoints, meter manufacturers, advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) communications vendors.
- Utilities and grid operators
- Meter manufacturers
- Advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) communications vendors
- Meter data management (MDM) vendors
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Research community
- Investor community
State of the Market
Regional Market Overview
Technology & Vendor Overview
New AMI Project Announcements
Acronyms and Resources
- Smart Meter Project Count by
Region, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- Smart Meter Vendors, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- Communication Vendors, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- Communication Type, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- New Project Announced by Region, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- Smart Meter Market Potential, Emerging Market, 3Q21
- AMI Deployment: Industry Growth Potential, Emerging Markets