- What are the primary use cases for blockchain in the energy industry?
- What are the key trends in energy blockchain use cases?
- How many energy blockchain projects have been deployed, and where?
- Which countries and geographies are the most active with respect to energy blockchain development?
- How much funding have blockchain vendors raised, and from what sources?
A Handful of Vendors Are Shaping the Energy Blockchain Landscape
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Insights
Blockchain is a mathematical framework for decentralized information and systems management. Since roughly 2015, startups, utilities, and technology companies have financed and deployed demonstration and pilot projects to determine whether blockchain can address pain points across the energy industry. These projects focused on a wide range of use cases, from transactive energy and peer-to-peer energy trading to supply chain management and renewable energy certificates. As the technology slowly matures, the narrative that blockchain will fundamentally disrupt the energy system is giving way to a more pragmatic vision in which blockchain makes existing processes more efficient.
This Guidehouse Insights report tracks energy blockchain project deployments, use cases, and vendor activities around the world. It covers 254 vendors, 310 projects, and more than $820 million in cumulative funding invested into energy blockchain development across five global regions. This report provides a broad and representative view of the energy blockchain market. Its content is based on project and vendor announcements and expert interviews conducted by Guidehouse Insights.
- Microgrid project developers
- Blockchain technology companies
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Investor-owned utilities
- Mobility services companies
- Transactive energy service providers
- Investor community
Market Inflection Trends
Market Drivers and Barriers
Energy Blockchain Project Deployment Overview
Regional Market Overview
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Energy Blockchain: Industry Growth Potential by Region
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- Number of Projects Announced by Region, World Markets: 2012-2019
- Number of Projects Announced by Vendors, World Markets: 2019
- Projects Announced and Active Vendors (Vendors with at Least One Project Deployed), World Markets: 2019